Dewage Ex Machina

dew'-age ex mach-i'-na n. compound, archaic
an opinion, statement or treatise
- spewing as a rant, speech or incitement from the internet
- as the result of an intermittant explosive disorder
- in an ineffectual effort
- to right an apparent or perceived wrong, injustice or disservice.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Why do I have to work after I get home after work?

Today I recieved in the mail no less than three letters from my mortgage companies. This was intriging, because I only have one mortgage -- but it's apparently been sold and then suddenly resold yet again. The first mortgage company sent me my monthly payment statement at the old amount. The second mortgage company sent me a letter saying they had sold my account. The third company sent me a letter with a payment coupon that was $80 more than the first one. They had decided to escrow more of my money for me.

So I called them. I had to call four times to figure out how to talk to a real person, but I don't remember how I did it, so I'll have to wing it next time, too. I remember I had to hold for awhile. The first idiot was nice enough, but was an idiot. It told him they had sent the statement to the wrong address, so he took my new information -- all of it, I was waiting for him to ask for my shoe size when he said, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I was momentarily taken aback before I realized it was my turn now.

I asked for an itemized statement of my escrowed account. Umm, he said. Really, that was the first word out of his mouth. Then he told me he couldn't send out that information until Monday, because my address had changed, but he could tell me what was on it now.

Umm, I said, OK... (Twist my arm.) So much was escrowed for taxes, this much was escrowed for Insurance, both were the same as before, and $80 was escrowed for mortgage insurance. That started a whole new conversation. I asked him what the assessed value of my house was, he told me. I asked him what the balance of my account was, he told me. I told him that was a value of 62% and then asked him what amount was the cutoff for "mortgage insurance". He said he'd have to transfer me to another department. Apparently, the Math Department.

I held again. The next lady was no idiot. I asked her where she got the assessed value for my house used to calculate the mortgage insurance. Three times. Apparently that question either wasn't in her script, or else had a footnote that said "Never answer this question." I tried re-communicating the question in another vernacular. Ah, let me check your record to see if we have your account paperwork yet, she said. Finally (months later, it seemed), after holding twice more we came to an agreement.

They would get back to me in four days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home